Advantages and Disadvantages of Cloud Computing – A great confusion surround the very concept of “cloud computing”. There are several definitions and attempts of definitions today. For some, cloud computing refers to the totality of the hosting services, for others, it is a matter of providing a remote infrastructure. Some even define cloud computing as a “Federation of application services on demand.” Interesting fact; While cloud computing still remains a concept to be precisely defined, we are already talking today about “Cloud 2”, which is supposed to be the new generation (social and mobile) of the cloud.
Cloud computing: Definition
A Concept. Several denominations.
Cloud computing: A relevant decision?
Cloud computing Benefits (CC)
- The ability to deploy and make available major applications and work environments immediately. The application update is systematic, and the provider unloads its customer from any maintenance responsibility. An unbeatable simplicity, therefore, saves you in addition to the costly developments
- Data can be shared since any cloud computing user can easily make its data available to one or more cc users. So it is possible to create a collaborative virtual platform in record time.
- A particularly powerful calculation, which is probably the shocking argument for this type of solution. It must be borne in mind that the structures limited at this level (computing power) can here allow a relocation of their treatments, and thus benefit from all the resources and performance made available to them by the server of the cloud computing. Although it concerns only a fairly small number of companies, This advantage remains one of the most important of the CC.
- Free and open access to the client, which can establish its connection from anywhere and have access to its data immediately, without going through the establishment of a VPN (a virtual private network) in the enterprise.
- Constant monitoring of the development of your cloud computing space. You are generally informed, in real-time, of the evolution of your cloud computing platform, since the installation of software is not necessary and that access is made via a simple web browser
- Total freedom, since you are not bound to your supplier by any long-term commitment. Cloud computing services are either billed on-demand or per monthly subscription. You are therefore free to put an end to this service at any time, if you feel that you do not need it anymore, or if you simply want to change supplier.
- Cost: Because the same service is offered to many users, its cost is significantly reduced.
Disadvantages of cloud computing
The controversial issue of confidentiality and security of your data remains the major limitation of this solution. The hosting of your data is indeed outside the company, in a basic service made available to you by your supplier. The risk of seeing your data end up in a situation of theft or misuse remains a possibility.
Depending on the chosen supplier, your leeway may be limited by the nature of the proposed offer. For example, if you want to access some of the features of your choice, your provider might not be able to offer them. To check with your supplier, so.