The original rundll32.exe file is a Microsoft Windows software component from Microsoft. The Microsoft Windows rundll32.exe file allows a computer to run Dynamic Link Libraries (DLLs). Like any other Windows file, rundll32.exe can get corrupted or infected by a virus. For this reason, Microsoft includes a backup copy of rundll32.exe on the Windows installation disk. However, if you don’t have this disc, you can use Windows System Restore to fix this problem. System Restore will “rollback” your computer to a point before rundll32.exe was deleted or became corrupt. If System Restore will not run normally, run it in safe mode.
What is rundll32.exe?
Microsoft Windows is an operating system. RunDLL is a Windows command-line utility. and an essential component of Windows. This is a critical Windows component and should not be removed unless it is in a directory other than “C: \ Windows”. Rundll32.exe allows users to activate a function exported from a 32-bit DLL. It is written to exclusively activate functions of those DLLs that are explicitly written to be called by it. Rundll was originally designed to be used internally at Microsoft but is now available for generic use. Rundll32 loads and executes 32-bit DLL files, and distributes various DLL libraries within the memory of the file system. It is an important component of certain Windows operating systems,
Founded in 1975, Microsoft Corporation is an American multinational technology company that develops, manufactures, and sells consumer electronics, software, personal computers, and services. Headquartered in Redmond, Washington, Microsoft was the world’s largest software in terms of revenue and one of the world’s most valuable companies in 2016. The company has a global presence and had revenue of $ 89.95 billion in 2017.
RunDLL32 significant Run Dynamic Link Library 32 -bit
The .exe extension in a file name indicates an executable exe file. Executable files can, in some cases, damage your computer. So, read below to decide if the rundll32.exe on your computer is a Trojan that you need to remove, or if it is a file that belongs to the Windows operating system or a trusted application.
Description: The original Microsoft rundll32.exe is an important part of Windows, but it often causes problems. Rundll32.exe is located in the C: \ Windows \ System32 folder. Known file sizes on Windows 10/8/7 / XP are 33,280 bytes (47% of all occurrences), 44,544 bytes, and 30 more variants. The process is a service and the name of the service is bff42538.
Instructions to How to Restore rundll32.exe without an Installation Disk
- Log on to the computer as an administrator.
- Close all open files and save your data in any open programs.
- Open “System Restore” by clicking “Start” and then typing “System Restore” (without the quotation marks) in the search box above the Windows icon or Start button. Click “System Restore” from the list of options provided. Click “OK” if prompted and click “Next” on the “System Restore” application window.
- Select a restore point from the list provided. Windows periodically creates “restore points” that record your computer’s programs, hardware, and registry settings. Choose a date before the day you started having problems with rundll23.exe.
- Click “Next” and click “Finish” to begin system restore. Windows will automatically restart your computer in order to return it to the restore point selected in step 4.
- Run System Restore in Safe Mode
- Start the computer in “Safe Mode” by restarting it and holding the “F8” key as the computer restarts.
- Open the command prompt by clicking “Start” after typing “cmd” (without quotes) into the search box.
- Type “rstrui.exe” (without the quotes) at the command prompt, press the “Enter” key. Click “OK” if prompted. Click “Next” to proceed to the “Select Restore Point” panel.
- Select a restore point from the list provided. Choose a point whose date is before the day you started having rundll32.exe related problems.
- Click “Next” and click “Finish” to start the restoration process. System Restore will restore your operating system to its previous configuration.
Tips & warnings
- Avoid accidentally deleting rundll32.exe by always using Control Panel’s “Add/Remove Programs” feature to uninstall applications.
- System restore will undo all changes to your system, including app installs or uninstalls.
- System Restore does not affect personal files such as documents or photographs.