To learn how to view media that are on your computer through an LG Smart TV, read the Methods below. You can play videos and music on your TV via the built-in SmartShare function, or mirror the desktop screen on the TV with an HDMI cable, and even with Miracast technology.
How to Connect Laptop to Smart TV Wirelessly Using SmartShare
- Using SmartShare. This program, present on LG Smart TVs, allows the user to stream media files directly from the computer to the TV using an internet network; so you can watch movies or listen to music stored on your computer without having to transfer the files to a USB stick or burn them to DVD.
SmartShare works best when both the TV and the computer are connected to the network through an Ethernet cable. When used with Wi-Fi, SmartShare can crash or play in poor quality.
- Turn on the Smart TV so that it becomes a “trusted” receiver on the computer.
- Connect your PC and TV to the same internet network. This is indispensable for streaming to work.
As previously stated, the TV and computer should preferably be connected to the modem by Ethernet cables.
- Open the “Start” menu on your computer. The Windows logo is in the lower left corner of the screen.
Before you can use SmartShare, you must enable media streaming on your computer.
- Enter Media Streaming Options, The tool of the same name will be found (it is in the Control Panel)
- Click Media Streaming Options, the first result. A new menu will open.
- Choose Enable media streaming in the middle of the window.
- Check the box next to the name of the LG TV. Scroll to find it, and select it.
If the option is already checked, nothing needs to be done.
- Click OK at the bottom of the window. The computer will now be able to stream content to the television, provided they are both on the same network.
- Press the “Home”. It should be in the middle or the lower right corner of the remote.
- Select the SmartShare option. Go left or right until you find the SmartShare icon, which is four colored beads (red, yellow, green and blue, respectively). Go to it and press “OK”.
- Select Devices tab on the left side of the screen.
- Your PC name should appear on this page; choose it.
- Select a media to play it. As soon as you open the page of your PC, you will be able to browse and access all the videos, photos and music present in it. Choose any file to open it on LG TV. 
The computer that will be streaming must be connected and in your account for the items to be displayed.
Doing the Wi-Fi streaming can lead to decreased quality and increased lag.